Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Paps and Cancer


Dear Dr. Bone,

My gynecologist wants me to have a pap smear. I had a partial hysterectomy 3 years ago and no longer have a cervix. Do I really need a Pap smear to screen for cervical cancer if I don’t have a cervix?

A.M.


Dear  A.M.,

What a smart patient you are! The pap does screen for cervical cancer. If you don’t have a cervix, you probably do not need a pap smear. If your hysterectomy was done for pre-cancer or cancer of the cervix, then I would continue to screen you with pap smears. In my residency many years ago, we were taught to do yearly paps on everyone without a cervix to find vaginal cancer. I have never seen a case. We now know that the HPV virus is the cause of cervix cancer and warts. If you are in a stable, monogamous sexual relationship or are not sexually active, then I would no longer do a pap smear. On the other hand, if you have a new partner or there is a question about your spouse’s fidelity, then I would screen you with a pap and HPV every three years (unless one or the other are abnormal). I refer you to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists website for more information (www.acog.org).

~Dr. Bone.

No comments:

Post a Comment