Thursday, April 5, 2012

How To Convince A Friend To Get Genetic Testing

Dear Dr. Bone,
My friend was diagnosed with fallopian tube cancer. I remember reading your column that mentioned it could be hereditary. I want to tell my friend that she should ask her doctor to be tested, but I worry that I am invading her privacy. What do think?

E.R.


Dear E.R.,

I can see how your situation is a sticky one. On one hand you are concerned for your friend’s health and the health of her family members. On the other hand, discussing personal issues like genetic testing can seem too private. There is no one right answer. However, if you put yourself in your friend’s shoes, you might be able to figure out what to do. If she tests and is positive, she will be able to help save her children, siblings, and grandchildren from going through what she is experiencing now. If she tests negative, she will know that she did not pass on a very high risk to develop fallopian tube and other cancers related to it. Since she already has cancer, there is little downside to getting her tested.

So how do you broach the subject? It can be difficult to bring it up in a face-to-face conversation. Perhaps you can include a pamphlet on genetic testing in a greeting card. Your note should explain that you are offering this information because you care so much about her. After that, I would drop the subject and let her decide on her own what to do. To that end, I am sending you some pamphlets and you can decide on your own what to do.

Best of Luck,
Dr. Bone

No comments:

Post a Comment